Buckingham Big Hearts
Buckingham Big Hearts is the in-house charitable giving committee of Buckingham Advisors'. It was founded in 2019 by employees who wanted to provide group opportunities for philanthropic involvement with the communities in which we serve. Buckingham Big Hearts leads quarterly events that can involve donations, volunteer work, and other activities to support local businesses, individuals, and families. Quarterly events are open to employees, clients, and friends of Buckingham Advisors.
4th Quarter 2021
Toys for Tots
We invite you to participate in Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee’s 2019 Toys for Tots Drive. Have fun toy shopping and bring joy to the less fortunate children in the Dayton area! You can donate the following ways between October 20, 2021 - December 10, 2021.
Ways to Donate
New, unwrapped toys may be dropped off at our Main Office
Building 3 - 6856 Loop Road
Monday - Thursday 8:30am - 5:00pm
Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm
Checks payable to Marine Toys for Tots Foundation may be dropped off at our office locations.
Buckingham Advisors is a proud sponsor of Tour de Gem: The Wright Brothers 2021 Cycling Classic. This annual fundraising event assists local nonprofits raise money and bring awareness to their important missions. This is a family-friendly event taking place on Sunday, October 10, 2021. If you are interested in learning more about the Tour de Gem, please visit https://www.ms-stride.org/tourdegem.
3rd Quarter 2021
For our 4th quarter project, we have chosen Pelotonia as our charity to raise funds for. Founded in 2008, Pelotonia hosts a three-day experience that includes a weekend of cycling, entertainment, and volunteerism. 100% of all participant-raised dollars go toward prevention and early diagnosis methods, enhanced treatments and therapies, immune-oncology, and the next generation of research talent.
If you are interested in learning more about Pelotonia, please visit https://pelotonia.org/.
Buckingham Advisors is a proud annual sponsor of Operation Cherrybend’s September Retreat Week and Heroes Concert. This yearly event provides combat-wounded veterans with fellowship and activities including adventure, music, and community – right here in Ohio. The mission of Operation Cherrybend is to thank veterans for their courage, selflessness, and sacrifice to our country. This newly formed 501(c)(3) non-profit organization also hopes to educate the general public about the trials and challenges of wounded veterans, and veterans in general. The Veterans Administration says that as many as 20 American veterans commit suicide daily. Operation Cherrybend wants to see that number go down.
Operation Cherrybend hosts two annual fundraisers:
• Sporting Clays Fundraiser - Held on May 22, 2021
• Heroes Golf Outing Fundraiser - Postponed due to weather - Original date: June 19, 2021. New date: Aug 21, 2021.
Money from these fundraisers will provide the capital for Operation Cherrybend’s Retreat Week, which will be held on September 8-12, 2021. There will also be a Heroes Concert on September 10, 2021.
If you are interested in learning more about this important charity, registering to participate in the fundraisers, making a donation, or nominating a veteran, please visit www.OperationCherrybend.org.
2nd Quarter 2021
The Big Hearts are happy to be volunteering for the inaugural MainStreet Lebanon Bike Criterium! The event will take place on Saturday, June 5, 2021 from 10:30am - 7:00pm with the start and finish line at Mulberry Plaza in downtown Lebanon. For additional information on this event, please visit: MainStreetLebanon.org.
Crayons to Classrooms: School Supply Drive
The Buckingham Big Hearts Committee chose Dayton Crayons to Classrooms as part of their 2nd quarter charity project. They are a non-profit organization that collects basic school supplies and acts as a free store for Dayton-area teachers from under-funded preK-12 schools that serve children living in poverty throughout Ohio’s Miami Valley. Thank you to all that participated and donated supplies! We want to wish all students a safe and happy school year!
1st Quarter 2021
Our Gift to the Community: Helping The Dayton Foundation Celebrate Their Centennial!
As longtime partners with The Dayton Foundation, we wanted to participate in the Foundation’s 100 Gifts to the Community campaign,” said Jay A. Buckingham, CFP®, Chief Executive Officer for Buckingham Advisors. “There are many needs within our community. This is a special way to honor The Dayton Foundation and assist those in the Greater Dayton area, now and in the future. This is our opportunity to pay it forward.
Link for our Centennial Donor Story (Gift #24):
Additional Information about The Dayton Foundation Centennial Celebration:
Big Hearts Gratuity Challenge
We would like to thank everyone that participated in the Big Hearts Gratuity Challenge! Our 1st quarter project was to provide an additional tip (% or $) at local restaurants through dine-in, carry-out, fast food, or delivery services to show our support to those front-line workers. The following is a summary from January to March 2021:
• Average tip size: 49%
• 50+ tips were contributed to service staff
• 40+ different restaurant locations
4th Quarter 2020
The Buckingham Big Hearts Volunteer Committee would like to extend a special thank you to everyone who participated in our holiday activity this year: Adopt-A-Family program through Dayton's Homefull organization! We are excited to announce that the generosity of our employees enabled us to adopt two families for the 2020 holiday season and fulfill their entire wish list! Homefull works to establish or maintain families in permanent housing and increase access to food, employment and other resources within the Miami Valley.
2nd & 3rd Quarter 2020
Random Acts of Kindness In Our Community
The Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee would like to extend our sincere gratitude and appreciation to our clients and staff that participated in Random Acts of Kindness Month in July. We received many submissions from people letting us know how they made someone’s day! Thank you for spreading some smiles and cheer throughout your community! We will be continuing this through August, so keep up the great work and send us your kind acts!
Here are a few anonymous submissions:
- Purchased coffee for the person in the car behind me at Boston Stoker this morning
- Sent a small gift of music to a nursing home patient who loves music
- Bought, cooked, and delivered lunch and dessert to my grandparents
- Donated my bicycle (and a couple of wheels) to a non-profit that repairs bikes for low-income individuals
- Sent a thank you card to five Dayton Children’s Hospital caregivers
- Picked up trash around my neighborhood
- My husband and I delivered a flowering plant to elderly friends who have been homebound for many months due to the pandemic and illness
- Complimented a customer service employee
- Completed a positive survey response for an Ohio Dept. of Tax employee
Special Announcement: Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee
July is Random Acts of Kindness Month!
We invite you to participate in Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee’s July 2020 Random Acts of Kindness Month. From July 1st- 31st our staff will be conducting random acts of kindness throughout their communities to spread much needed positivity during these difficult times. Please join us throughout this next month and be sure to share your random acts of kindness with us! We would love to hear how you are making someone’s day better, both big and small.
“Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty”.
25 Ways to Make Someone’s Day
- Send a letter to a grandparent/grandchild/parent/sibling/child
- Offer to pick up groceries for a neighbor/older relative
- Mow your neighbor’s lawn
- Buy a coffee for the next person in line
- Buy local products from a small vendor
- Plant a tree
- Let someone go ahead of you while waiting in line
- Bake dog treats and donate to local shelter(s)
- Leave a few quarters in a vending machine/laundromat
- Offer to babysit for a night for free
- Send cards to sick children in hospitals that may have limited visitors
- Cook a few extra portions of dinner and deliver to family members, elderly neighbors
- Send a handwritten thank you note or email to someone – try sending to a new person once a week
- Leave a nice note or small gift in the mailbox for the mailman
- Compliment someone – a family member, acquaintance, or someone you meet in the store
- Send flowers to someone, just to brighten their day
- Leave a nice note on someone’s car (imagine their surprise!)
- Donate treats, towels, blankets, pet toys to an animal shelter
- Post a praise of a local small business on social media
- Add coins to someone’s parking meter
- Drop off toys, books, or toiletries to a homeless shelter
- Donate flowers, board games, food treats, postcards, or letters to a local nursing home facility
- Drop off goodie baskets/thank you letters to first responders
- Buy someone’s food at the drive-thru
- Pick up trash around parks/playgrounds/roads/neighborhoods
April 20, 2020
Donating to Our Front-Line Workers and First Responders
We are so proud of our very own, Janet Steinke, Senior Wealth Advisor! In partnership with area Lebanon Chamber of Commerce businesses, they provided breakfast, lunch and dinner to all the three shifts at Bethesda Arrow Springs Medical Center in Lebanon. They also surprised local fire & police departments with special treats to show their appreciation and support for all they do for the wonderful Lebanon community! Thank you to Janet and the Lebanon Chamber businesses for their generous donations to our brave front-line workers and first responders!
1st Quarter 2020
Volunteering at 4 Paws for Ability
The Buckingham Big Hearts Volunteer Committee donated their time to a wonderful non-profit organization, 4 Paws for Ability, in the early Spring by cleaning and assisting staff at the Xenia facility. 4 Paws for Ability is one of the leading providers of service dogs for children regardless of disability as well as adult children with caregiver guardianship who cannot live independently. 4 Paws also assists veterans by providing service dogs which can assist with disabilities on a case-by-case basis, as well as adults living with hearing loss, diabetes, or Alzheimer’s. A great time was had by all and we’re looking forward to our next volunteer opportunity!
Buckingham Big Hearts: How You Can Help
The Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee was formed in 2019 to give back to the communities that have given us so much. We feel it is important to stay positive during the current Covid-19 pandemic that is impacting our lives. We have compiled a list of ideas to help those individuals and businesses that are struggling, along with some simple ways to inspire hope. Enjoy!
- Spread kindness!
- Purchase gift cards from the restaurants and businesses in your neighborhood (and don’t forget to leave a tip!)
- Consider tipping those essential delivery/store pickup employees (i.e. grocery store pickup, parcel delivery, curbside delivery, etc.)
- The Dayton Foundation has established a community fund that will be distributed to vetted nonprofits that are responding to Covid-19. Learn More.
- House of Bread is collecting food and household items to be distributed to those in need. Learn More.
- The Dayton Foodbank is collecting monetary donations for their drive-thru food pantry. Learn More.
- The Greater Dayton Area Hospital Association is collecting homemade masks for distribution. Learn More.
- The Dayton Sewing Collaborative is providing kits to volunteers to sew face masks for first responders. Learn More.
- Dayton Children’s Hospital is requesting cards to be sent to their patients, since visitors are limited. Learn More.
- Post pictures/drawings of hearts on windows and doors to allow essential workers and first responders to know they are appreciated.
- Write inspiring messages and pictures with chalk on sidewalks, driveways, etc.
- Consider fostering a pet. Many humane societies are looking for fosters during this stay-at-home order.
- Donate crossword puzzles, books, etc. to local nursing homes.
- Check on your friends, family and neighbors who may need your assistance.
It is important to maintain optimism and believe that we will not only survive this pandemic, but we will grow as individuals, communities, and a world. If you have additional ideas to help serve our community, please feel free to pass them along to share in future communications.
4th Quarter 2019
Toys for Tots
Thank you all for making the Toys for Tots drive a huge success this year! Together we were able to gather over 200 toys for children in the Dayton area. We hope to make it an even bigger success in 2020!