Buckingham Big Hearts
Buckingham Big Hearts is the in-house charitable giving committee of Buckingham Advisors'. It was founded in 2019 by employees who wanted to provide group opportunities for philanthropic involvement with the communities in which we serve. Buckingham Big Hearts leads quarterly events that can involve donations, volunteer work, and other activities to support local businesses, individuals, and families. Quarterly events are open to employees, clients, and friends of Buckingham Advisors.
1st Quarter 2021
Big Hearts Gratuity Challenge
We would like to encourage everyone to tip extra (% or $) at local restaurants through dine-in, carry-out, fast food, or delivery services to continue to show our support to those front-line workers who might need it a little more than us! We would like you to share your generosity with us (this can be anonymous!) through the end of March.
4th Quarter 2020
The Buckingham Big Hearts Volunteer Committee would like to extend a special thank you to everyone who participated in our holiday activity this year: Adopt-A-Family program through Dayton's Homefull organization! We are excited to announce that the generosity of our employees enabled us to adopt two families for the 2020 holiday season and fulfill their entire wish list! Homefull works to establish or maintain families in permanent housing and increase access to food, employment and other resources within the Miami Valley.
2nd & 3rd Quarter 2020
Random Acts of Kindness In Our Community
The Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee would like to extend our sincere gratitude and appreciation to our clients and staff that participated in Random Acts of Kindness Month in July. We received many submissions from people letting us know how they made someone’s day! Thank you for spreading some smiles and cheer throughout your community! We will be continuing this through August, so keep up the great work and send us your kind acts!
Here are a few anonymous submissions:
- Purchased coffee for the person in the car behind me at Boston Stoker this morning
- Sent a small gift of music to a nursing home patient who loves music
- Bought, cooked, and delivered lunch and dessert to my grandparents
- Donated my bicycle (and a couple of wheels) to a non-profit that repairs bikes for low-income individuals
- Sent a thank you card to five Dayton Children’s Hospital caregivers
- Picked up trash around my neighborhood
- My husband and I delivered a flowering plant to elderly friends who have been homebound for many months due to the pandemic and illness
- Complimented a customer service employee
- Completed a positive survey response for an Ohio Dept. of Tax employee
Special Announcement: Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee
July is Random Acts of Kindness Month!
We invite you to participate in Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee’s July 2020 Random Acts of Kindness Month. From July 1st- 31st our staff will be conducting random acts of kindness throughout their communities to spread much needed positivity during these difficult times. Please join us throughout this next month and be sure to share your random acts of kindness with us! We would love to hear how you are making someone’s day better, both big and small.
“Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty”.
25 Ways to Make Someone’s Day
- Send a letter to a grandparent/grandchild/parent/sibling/child
- Offer to pick up groceries for a neighbor/older relative
- Mow your neighbor’s lawn
- Buy a coffee for the next person in line
- Buy local products from a small vendor
- Plant a tree
- Let someone go ahead of you while waiting in line
- Bake dog treats and donate to local shelter(s)
- Leave a few quarters in a vending machine/laundromat
- Offer to babysit for a night for free
- Send cards to sick children in hospitals that may have limited visitors
- Cook a few extra portions of dinner and deliver to family members, elderly neighbors
- Send a handwritten thank you note or email to someone – try sending to a new person once a week
- Leave a nice note or small gift in the mailbox for the mailman
- Compliment someone – a family member, acquaintance, or someone you meet in the store
- Send flowers to someone, just to brighten their day
- Leave a nice note on someone’s car (imagine their surprise!)
- Donate treats, towels, blankets, pet toys to an animal shelter
- Post a praise of a local small business on social media
- Add coins to someone’s parking meter
- Drop off toys, books, or toiletries to a homeless shelter
- Donate flowers, board games, food treats, postcards, or letters to a local nursing home facility
- Drop off goodie baskets/thank you letters to first responders
- Buy someone’s food at the drive-thru
- Pick up trash around parks/playgrounds/roads/neighborhoods
April 20, 2020
Donating to Our Front-Line Workers and First Responders
We are so proud of our very own, Janet Steinke, Senior Wealth Advisor! In partnership with area Lebanon Chamber of Commerce businesses, they provided breakfast, lunch and dinner to all the three shifts at Bethesda Arrow Springs Medical Center in Lebanon. They also surprised local fire & police departments with special treats to show their appreciation and support for all they do for the wonderful Lebanon community! Thank you to Janet and the Lebanon Chamber businesses for their generous donations to our brave front-line workers and first responders!
1st Quarter 2020
Volunteering at 4 Paws for Ability
The Buckingham Big Hearts Volunteer Committee donated their time to a wonderful non-profit organization, 4 Paws for Ability, in the early Spring by cleaning and assisting staff at the Xenia facility. 4 Paws for Ability is one of the leading providers of service dogs for children regardless of disability as well as adult children with caregiver guardianship who cannot live independently. 4 Paws also assists veterans by providing service dogs which can assist with disabilities on a case-by-case basis, as well as adults living with hearing loss, diabetes, or Alzheimer’s. A great time was had by all and we’re looking forward to our next volunteer opportunity!
Buckingham Big Hearts: How You Can Help
The Buckingham Big Hearts Charitable Committee was formed in 2019 to give back to the communities that have given us so much. We feel it is important to stay positive during the current Covid-19 pandemic that is impacting our lives. We have compiled a list of ideas to help those individuals and businesses that are struggling, along with some simple ways to inspire hope. Enjoy!
- Spread kindness!
- Purchase gift cards from the restaurants and businesses in your neighborhood (and don’t forget to leave a tip!)
- Consider tipping those essential delivery/store pickup employees (i.e. grocery store pickup, parcel delivery, curbside delivery, etc.)
- The Dayton Foundation has established a community fund that will be distributed to vetted nonprofits that are responding to Covid-19. Learn More.
- House of Bread is collecting food and household items to be distributed to those in need. Learn More.
- The Dayton Foodbank is collecting monetary donations for their drive-thru food pantry. Learn More.
- The Greater Dayton Area Hospital Association is collecting homemade masks for distribution. Learn More.
- The Dayton Sewing Collaborative is providing kits to volunteers to sew face masks for first responders. Learn More.
- Dayton Children’s Hospital is requesting cards to be sent to their patients, since visitors are limited. Learn More.
- Post pictures/drawings of hearts on windows and doors to allow essential workers and first responders to know they are appreciated.
- Write inspiring messages and pictures with chalk on sidewalks, driveways, etc.
- Consider fostering a pet. Many humane societies are looking for fosters during this stay-at-home order.
- Donate crossword puzzles, books, etc. to local nursing homes.
- Check on your friends, family and neighbors who may need your assistance.
It is important to maintain optimism and believe that we will not only survive this pandemic, but we will grow as individuals, communities, and a world. If you have additional ideas to help serve our community, please feel free to pass them along to share in future communications.
4th Quarter 2019
Toys for Tots
Thank you all for making the Toys for Tots drive a huge success this year! Together we were able to gather over 200 toys for children in the Dayton area. We hope to make it an even bigger success in 2020!